Many readers often ask how I can afford to keep traveling. A few times I’ve been asked if I’m secretly dating a sheik or am burning through a trust fund. How could a young lady such as my self possibly
travel so often?
The key is learning to live with less and, above all, compromise. After leaving my job in Los Angeles, I left my luxury apartment, two walk-in closets, my high-end gym membership and cut myself off from all beauty services. I thought these were all things I needed in order to be happy. Silly me.
I moved my things back into my parents home (never thought that day would come) and began traveling with a backpack and a shoestring budget. For nearly three years I lived on less than $50 a day.
Four years later, I am now on the road nine months of the year and have a six-member team helping run this site.
So, how do I make money if I’m always traveling?
1) The Blonde Abroad is actually a multi-level business and has various revenue streams including affiliate programs, consulting, social media marketing and digital content creation.
2) I take press trips where expenses are covered and I am paid for social media marketing or producing content like photography or videography. (You’ll always know if I take a press trip as I disclose it in the post). I take these trips when it’s a place I’m excited to see, and I think my readers will benefit from my my first hand perspective of the trip.
3) I offer social media and marketing consulting as well as content creation for brands that want to focus on authenticity and engagement. I began consulting out of my own love for social media and branding and enjoy helping create solutions for other companies.
4) I run Blog Mentorship Retreats to provide women with coaching on design, branding and social media. Together, with a web developer and graphic designer, we offer a comprehensive program that gives bloggers the tools they need to build and maintain their dream blog.
5) I also run Photography Travel Tours in South Africa to provide women with technical skills through one-on-one mentorship and workshops in beautiful destinations. with unforgettable memories and beautiful photos. It’s an opportunity to meet like-minded female travelers and experience the brightest South African highlights on a luxurious and action-packed photography tour!
If you are a tourism board, hotel or brand interested in sharing the personal side of your destination, learn more about how we can work together.