Because I travel so often, I’m always looking for apps that make trips easier for me to organize! If you’re constantly flying, having an app that tracks all of your flights, miles, and destinations is extremely helpful.
I’ve been using App in the Air for a few years now, and I think it is such a great tool for frequent flyers and travel lovers alike—there’s something so satisfying about being able to see how many flights you’ve taken along with the number of miles you’ve flown. Plus it helps keep all my flight itineraries, easy to access, in one place.
If you’ve been following me for a while, then you know that I love sharing new products, resources, and apps that I genuinely love. This goes for App in the Air. It’s been my favorite app for the past few years, and I try to tell everyone I know about it. Not sold quite yet?
Here’s my review of App in the Air!
The Best App for Frequent Flyers
So why is App in the Air, the premiere “personal travel assistant”? Because it keeps real-time information on your upcoming flights including gate change alerts, flight delays, cancellation alerts, and more. It also keeps track of your flight itineraries and boarding passes. You can also plug in any number of flights and track their boarding and landing times, along with wait times for check-in, security, and customs lines.
Once you’re at the airport, you can search for tips from other travelers. For example, you can find out which airport coffee shop is open at 5 AM and little-known places to charge your phone.
Once you’ve set up an account, it automatically syncs upcoming flights from your email. Or you can manually add it by flight number, or by forwarding your itinerary via email. It’s super easy to use!
If you’re a member of different airline loyalty programs, App in the Air keeps track of those different airline loyalty programs and tallies up your journeys with each airline. I find this feature super helpful when I want to go back and ensure I claimed points for all of my flights!
Lastly, my favorite feature of the app is the “yearly view” so I can see all my adventures from each year to date. Here are ALL of my 2017 and 2018 flights!
Flight to Sydney
Tracking your Flights with App in the Air
Tracking your flights has never been easier—the app adds all of your flight details in one simple tap. If you connect the app to your email account, as I mentioned, it will automatically sync your reservations from your calendar and your email (saving you time and energy).
Once your flights are synced, your phone then displays information on the upcoming flights. Information like how long until you need to check-in, the weather at your destination and more are at your fingertips.
For me, one of the most fun parts about the app is the fact that it turns travel into a game and keeps track of your “score.” There’s a visual world map that shows the flight routes you’ve taken all over the world, as well as a worldwide leaderboard ranking travelers.
App in the Air Features
Right now the current App in the Air features are:
- Flight Alerts to keep informed on all stages of a flight. In case of change (like gate changes or delays), the app notifies in real time. What’s more, the app can notify users via text messages (SMS), which is particularly important when you’re abroad with no internet connection
- Automated Online Check-in enables travelers to check-in and choose their favorite zone before the airline’s official check-in window.
- History of Flights (and trips including hotels and car rentals) are stored in the app. They are displayed on the map along with detailed statistics.
- Delay Compensation: When a flight is delayed, users may receive compensation.
- Checklist and Notes: Make a list of and make notes about what travelers will need to take on their trip.
- Airport Maps. Fliers will never be lost in a new airport again; they can find any cafe, shop, Duty-Free, car parking or local transportation in an airport.
- Tips about Airports: Where to find the speed WiFi and good food, info on airlines, ground transportation, services, etc.
- Nearby: Chat with people who are on the same flight/airport, e.g., to share a taxi or to grab a coffee.
- Gamification: See the current position among friends and all App in the Air users.
- Wallet: Accumulate miles from the different loyalty programs in one convenient place (airlines, hotels, cars and more).
- Badges: The milestones associated with flights all over the world.
Connecting with Other Travelers
If you feel like being a little social, the app can tell you who is nearby and flying, with stats about them, such as their hours spent in the air. This is a great way to make friends with fellow travelers and share stories about your travels.
Right now App in the Air has a sweepstake going on that could sweeten the deal even more. If you download App in the Air from the app store and create an account by April 12, 2019, you’re entered to win $2,500 or several runner up prizes.
The Sweepstakes is open to legal U.S. residents who are at least eighteen (18) years of age.