Home Forums First-Time Travel Where to start?

• Author
    #25469 |

Hi Kiersten!

I have been following The Blonde Abroad for a while now and it is truly inspiring. I am 25 and living in Minnesota, currently working at my first job out of college going on year three, and needless to say-experiencing a bad case of wanderlust.

Just like you before, I can’t help wonder that there has to be more to life than the conventional lifestyle. Due to lack of funds, I am looking into ways to still travel and make money. I would also be traveling by myself-which is extremely out of my comfort zone.

The hardest part right now is picking what/where is best for me-and actually having the courage to do it. My question for you is, looking back at your travel experiences where would you recommend starting off abroad as a young naïve traveler as myself? Has any place or program stuck out to you as a good “gateway” into traveling? I have researched everywhere from working on organic farms, teaching English abroad, to work visas in Australia. Overall, was any place immediately easy to meet people, fit in, and made you feel at home while miles away from home?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Sincerely,
    Nervous Wannabee World Traveler

• Kiersten Rich
    Keymaster

Hi Brianna,

Thank you for reaching out and for your kind words! Sounds like you’ve caught the wanderlust bug!

If solo travel seems like a super scary option for your first big trip, I would recommend looking into a tour company that does large group tours for young travelers, so that you get great travel experiences but you aren’t by yourself nor trying to navigate through foreign cities on your own. I think that would be a great way to get your feet wet, give you some experience traveling, and make new friends along the way. If you’d rather not be on a set schedule then staying in hostels and mingling in the common rooms is a surefire way to meet other travelers and make new friends to discover destinations with.

It will also introduce you to destinations that you will fall in love with, and feel comfortable coming back to solo at a later date.

Best,

Kiersten

• luciana

hi Kiersten!

my name is Luciana. I’m sure you’ve gotten this question a million times, so I apologize, but I’m just very interested in the financial aspect of your first few travels. the first few trips you went on (aside from studying abroad through school), how did you afford them? did you use your savings or did you work while you were in these countries? I’m just starting to get into a habit of saving my money because I’ve spent so much on paying off college loans. so when you came back from your first solo trip abroad, did you use your savings to finance your next trip? or did you continue working until your next trip? im so anxious to travel and meet new people and see new places but the financial aspect of the first few trips is what really frightens me.

thank you in advance,

luciana

• Brooklynne

Hello Kiersten!

I have been up night, & day researching “travel blogging”. I love to travel, but as I am fresh out of high school, I am low on funds. I’m only working part time, so it’s hard to save a decent amount of money out of each check with other bills. Becoming a travel blogger is a dream, & there is nothing more I want than to watch my dream become reality. I’m not sure where I should start, or how I should start to make this happen. What would you do? Also, how were you able to live off $50 at a time at one point? I’m so lost, yet so motivated to make my dreams come true. I could definitely use some help, or a good first step to take!

Thank you so much in advance!

Brooklynne

• Sarah

Hi Kiersten!

I am in my early 20s and looking to plan a trip to Europe with my friend for July. I am a little overwhelmed on where to begin because I have just heard so many great things about so many different places in Europe. Do you have any tips on how to start the process? We are on a fairly tight budget but would like to spend about 3 weeks in Europe. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!

• Kiersten Rich
      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

It’s true, Europe has so many amazing places to travel, it is overwhelming!

Honestly, there’s no way you’ll be able to fit a lot of destinations into 3 weeks, so I’d recommend narrowing down on 1-2 countries and really exploring. Spain was the first country I ever traveled to, and I fell in love. Croatia is also one of my favorite European destinations. I’d look at your interests– whether adventure, history, food, sailing, etc.– and find the best destinations to experience those.

Happy travels xx

• Melissa Carnero

Hi Kiersten,
    I have truly enjoyed going through your website and reading most of your blogs. I have always had it in my heart to travel the world, but I am just afraid to actually leave for long term. I’ve traveled quiet a bit to Brazil, Jamaica, Turkey, Dominican Republic,Costa Rica, Mexico, a few others and have only take one solo trip to Canada. It was a week long and a great experience, but I didn’t feel complete. It wasn’t what i was looking for. I want to take a 6 weeks trip and visit different place. I am not sure where to start. I have read your post and I am not sure if i should focus on Central America or Europe for my first “longer” solo trip. What do you suggest? I want to get away and be somewhere were I can walk places, has a fun nightlife, and is relaxing as well. I’ve thought about Costa Rica, Guatemala, or Peru and also Rome or Madrid. Please help 🙂

Thank you so much!! your advice and resources on your page are AMAZING!

Mel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.