Home Forums Airfare Questions & Resources Getting the Cheapest Airfare

• Author

I’m planning on flying to Ecuador from the Northest of the United States and I’ve been looking up the cheapest flights to get to Ecuador. I’ve heard all of this advice about either booking right before you leave and also six weeks or more in advance. I can’t really be flexible with days since I have to be there from the 3rd or 4th of July and must leave by August 2nd (I could leave August 1st). I’ve been looking up airfare and for a while it was $536 on all websites (I saw $522 once) and I looked again recently and the cheapest is anywhere between $577-$800+. It’s going up! My question is, should I book now, five months in advance, should I wait until it’s six weeks before or just within a few days?

I looked to see what it would be if I left two days from now and it’s $547-$555 or so. What do you do to get cheap tickets?

• Kiersten Rich
    Keymaster

Hi there Leanne! Great question!

While there are plenty of theories and methods out there for booking cheap flights, I’ve found that it’s entirely location dependent. Here are some of my tips:

1. Use a Fare Watcher like Airfare Watchdog to get price alerts: You can set the flight and dates you’d like and it will notify you of price changes.

2. Have flexible dates: I like using sites like Skyscanner to browse flights by the month so I can see fare changes between the course of a few days.

• Sarah Magill (Curious Sarah)

Leanne,

I love using SkyScanner like Kiersten said, although the third party travel agents DO NOT make it easy to change flights so be really sure all the details are correct before finalizing! Another good budget airfare sight is allegiant air. They only work in the US but can get you to a really busy/popular airport which are usually cheaper to fly out of.

If you have a little more time to plan, I think the easiest way to get cheap flights is by using a credit card that rewards you with airline miles. I have flown from Seattle to Mexico City for $27 and from Florida to Barcelona for $5.50! You really have to do your research to make sure the spending limits are within your budget and it’s easy to earn miles(most cards give you one mile per dollar spent). This way is not really dependent on location or time, just your plans. If you want more details on traveling with credit card miles, you can email me and I’d be glad to tell you more! [email protected]

• Molly

Hi Kiersten, I also have a question about airfare. I love to use Skyscanner as well to check for the cheapest airfare and do research. Do you have input on whether or not to book through third parties on Skyscanner? There are a couple newer ones called Travel Merry and Hop2. The prices they have for a round trip flights to some countries in Europe are unbeatable.. But I don’t want to get scammed and wonder if they are legit. How do you determine if the cheap price is worth the risk of illegitimacy?

• Taylor Short

Just wondering what is the cheapest airfare anyone has found? and also What or Where are some of the cheapest cities to fly into, Europe, Asia, etc.. Is there a better month or day for to get those cheap flights?

also what are your thoughts on travel to Egypt?

thanks

• Kiersten Rich
    Keymaster

You won’t necessarily get scammed but I always recommend booking directly through the airline. That’s because booking sites can oversell on flights and you may get bumped from the flight at the airport- even with a paid ticket. Some of those sites also don’t guarantee flights until they send a confirmation email. So, if you see fares only on those third party sites, but they aren’t available on the airline website, it’s likely that upon booking you’ll get an email that the flight isn’t available.

Reply To: Getting the Cheapest Airfare
Your information: