• Author

Are you ever planning on going to Africa anytime soon? I want to start traveling the world soon, and that includes Africa, but there is so little information about it out there. It’s like it’s “taboo” or something to talk about. It’s difficult to find blogs that people regularly update about going there, that’s why I’m asking.

• Kiersten Rich
    Keymaster

I’m actually hoping to travel to Africa this year! It definitely depends on where you’re wanting to go; it’s a huge continent with many countries. Did you have a specific country in mind? If so, I can direct you to more blogs with travel info.

• Leanne

No specific countries in mind yet. I’ll be on the lookout for you to be in Africa though.

• Heather

I would love to go to South Africa! I have a friend who did a study abroad there and loved it. The terrain is pretty diverse. Deserts in the north, mountains along the coast, beautiful beaches, it really is a great place to be. He also journeyed to Botswana and Namibia and said they were wonderful too!

• Allie

I have traveled to Kenya Africa twice now. I absolutely love it. But with Africa being bigger then the USA/JAPAN/THE UK combined, it can be hard to choose just where to go. East Africa is very old in their ways. That’s where you hear about Ebola and all the scary media stories. North Africa is almost more like the Middle East then anything else. That’s where you find Egypt and morocco. West Africa is my favorite and the most diverse on a small area. You have Kenya which is built up and modernized in the south, and tribal in the north. This is also where you find the countries with movies about them such as rawanda and Uganda. Then lastly you have the southern part of Africa where segregation is real and still a huge factor and elephant in the room there. Each section of Africa has awesome things to offer and you will fall completely in love no matter where you go. My favorite thing about Kenya is the change in mentality. Where I go, they built their community on a dump, they have nothing, yet they are praising Jesus and telling the world how thankful they are for what they have! That’s hard to find in America… Truly thankful people.. That’s what I miss most when I go back home always also. Hope this helps some for you other travelers hoping to go to Africa one day! It is something you won’t regret.

• Allie

I have traveled to Kenya Africa twice now. I absolutely love it. But with Africa being bigger then the USA/JAPAN/THE UK combined, it can be hard to choose just where to go. East Africa is very old in their ways. That’s where you hear about Ebola and all the scary media stories. North Africa is almost more like the Middle East then anything else. That’s where you find Egypt and morocco. West Africa is my favorite and the most diverse on a small area. You have Kenya which is built up and modernized in the south, and tribal in the north. This is also where you find the countries with movies about them such as rawanda and Uganda. Then lastly you have the southern part of Africa where segregation is real and still a huge factor and elephant in the room there. Each section of Africa has awesome things to offer and you will fall completely in love no matter where you go. My favorite thing about Kenya is the change in mentality. Where I go, they built their community on a dump, they have nothing, yet they are praising Jesus and telling the world how thankful they are for what they have! That’s hard to find in America… Truly thankful people.. That’s what I miss most when I go back home always also. Hope this helps some for you other travelers hoping to go to Africa one day! It is something you won’t regret.

• Lynn

I’ve been in South Africa and Swaziland twice. If you go to South Africa, you must visit the ‘Drakensbergen’, the beautiful city Durban and of course Johannesburg. But like I said before, I also visited Swaziland. It’s a really small country in surrounded by South Africa. In Swaziland, you can visit the Hlane National park, you can visit the Manzine Market, where the locals buy their stuff. Nkonyeni golf is if you like to golf a good idea as well. To stay the night in Swaziland, I recommend Mvubu falls lodge. It is a small lodge with 10 bedrooms and a pub/restaurant where even the prince sometimes have a drink. The owners will be very kind and will give you tips what to do. They also support a educationproject.

• Makayla

I recently traveled to South Africa and fell in love with the country. I spent a lot of time in Cape Town and went to a few other smaller cities along the western cape. The land is gorgeous and in every direction you look, there are mountains and rolling hills. There is a stigma about how dangerous it can be in the major cities of South Africa, however I never once felt unsafe – then again I was very aware of my surroundings at all times. The prices of food and other goods in South Africa are way lower than that of the US and other European cities. $20 USD is more than enough to get you meals for an entire day. I recommend Cape Town, South Africa to anyone looking for adventure and beautiful land – you can hike a mountain and see the beach, the city, and other surrounding mountains all in one view. Cape Town is also a good hub for taking day tours to the Cape of Good Hope, Gansbaai (popular spot to find Great White sharks), Big 5 Game Safaris, Constantia (the Napa Valley of South Africa), Hout Bay, Cape Point (southwestern-most tip of Africa), etc.

• Ashley Patterson

Hi Kiersten,

Your blog / instagram have been great for travel inspiration, and I have decided to focus on saving for a trip to Africa for my 35th birthday. Originally I had planned to visit South Africa & Seychelles, but I have really enjoyed the recent pictures of your time Namibia & Kenya.

I am booking a month off for this trip; realistically, how much can I see during that time?

Ash

Reply To: Information about Africa travel
Your information: